Friday, October 3, 2008

Sharing a bathroom?



This weekend, I'm visiting my husband at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. I've been enjoying the sights, bought groceries and have been enjoying the weather. I've also been hanging out in my hotel room... a LOT. Not because I am a hermit or anything. I just haven't had the amenities of a room like this in a long time. I have the bathroom fully stocked with all of my showering supplies, towels and the like. There is no bathtub, so I can't make much use of my bath salts but that's ok. My stay has been quaint and comfortable.

A little earlier today, I hear a bit of commotion coming from the other side of my bathroom door. I checked it out, noticing there were doors on either side of the bathroom- like my bathroom and the one next door were connected. I could have sworn in heard someone using it on the other side the previous evening. It was no biggie- I'd seen it before.

Jon came to join me later on that evening and we ate, watched part of a movie and went to sleep. At around midnight, I hear a rather frantic knocking on the bathroom door.  I'm comfortably in my skivvy's, tucked away in my bed. The door is rattling and the handle shaking loudly. By this time, Jon and I are sitting up in bed like "what the heck is going on?!" A few seconds later, we get a knock on our hotel room door. I'm thinking, there must be some kind of emergency, like maybe there is a fire or a burgular on the loose, wreaking havoc on the place. Instead, I hear a rather irritated womans voice say "Can you please unlock the bathroom door?"

By this time, Jon is up, walking groggily to the door and yells something, still in-between sleep. He unlocks the knob and we soon find out that we share a bathroom with the room next to us! AGHH!

Now, at first both of us are pretty perturbed about the whole thing. You mean to tell me when I checked in the afternoon before, no one felt the need to let me know I was sharing a bathroom? I quickly got up and checked all of our literature given by the hotel for the fine print, and Jon tried to call the front desk- to no avail for him. Finally, in the list of housekeeping duties of what services will be completed- one line tells it all: Toilets in shared bathrooms will be cleaned daily.

I share the news with Jon, who is now seething. I'm agitated, but trying hard to make light of the rather uncomfortable situation. I actually had to pray to calm down and help us gain some perspective. After a bit more venting, we settled back into bed. I obviously couldn't get back to sleep as i am writing this now, at 1:13AM. All I can say is... WOW (rather flatly).

Next time I check into a hotel, inquiring about sharing a bathroom will definitely be one of the first things on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Share your mind!