Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Best Friends Forever:-)

Have you ever been in a place in life where you suddenly felt uprooted after a long period of stability? That's kinda where I've been. There has been so much beauty in being unsettled for me, because it has provided the opportunity for God to highlight some areas in my heart and life that I need to work on. One of these areas is my marriage.

When you find yourself going through the motions in marriage, there can come a time when you don't feel fully alive. Things can be good, but I believe they were meant to be Great!

I'd noticed these comments that my husband and I had been making- wishing for friends, seeking awesome experiences with close friends, but finding few opportunities.  It didn't help that a very close friend of mine recently went back home after an impromptu visit about a week and a half ago. I had forgotten what it was like to have someone chasing you through the house, doing hair or sitting together saying nothing. I had forgotten what real friendship was like.

I was washing dishes the other day in the kitchen and wanted to just chat on the phone with someone. I have hundreds of contacts in my phone, but no one jumped out to me as someone I would just love to chat with for hours about nothing...except my husband.  Hmm. There is something to be said about that. We gravitate to those who know us more than anyone else- those we feel at home with.

So, it was then that I decided to propose something to him. I felt a little silly, but I knew it was something that we both needed. When he came home from work, I asked him if he would officially be my best friend. He said yes:-)

There was a lot of giddy school girl giggling from both sides as we laid out our terms. We would workout together, he would need to learn to do my hair, make-up and nails (preparation for when I'm old and can't put my lipstick on straight.) There would be card games, movie nights, bike rides, escapes out on the town. Most of this stuff we do together anyway, but now it seems like a switch has flipped and we are so much more intentional.

We consider each other more because we are "best friends"- as it should be. I even searched Etsy for matching necklaces- found one with barbells and a metal medallion that said "Swole Mates." Nice and masculine for the hubby. We're definitely having fun with this.

So tonight, we may just snuggle up on the bed with popcorn and watch the Hart of Dixie or do a quick workout in the garage gym after we put the kids to bed tomorrow. Yeah,  I'm starting to get flashbacks of us in high school...but now, it's oh so better:-) I can't wait to see where our friendship takes us! Matching back tattoos? Maybe. lol


-Melody

1 comment:

  1. The Tattoos should only be complete when you stand together. Maybe Becky and I will get one.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Share your mind!