Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Buy Her Time

Photo Credit: Anthony Green
















You see her on the streets.
Adorned in flecks of gold.
Glance into her eyes,
Her story is untold.
How did she come to be,
A woman selling skin?
In it for the money?
Her heart will never win.
She sleeps alone at night,
Her soul is yearning still,
For life to deal her a hand,
That can fit the bill.
She'll change it all one day.
She's worth more than a dime.
If only He would come,
Come along and buy her time.

There is a prostitution ring near my house. You can't miss it. Women walking around barely wearing anything. Lingering customers scouting the streets for the cops. Each precious life screams a different story. When I first witnessed the exchanges of these women, I was a little taken aback. Why so close to my house? Where are the cops? This is unacceptable!

As the weeks went by, my heart began to break. As I would turn the corner to get onto the highway, I would catch a glimpse of their faces. Daughters, mothers, sisters. Beautiful, bruised and searching. Some were confident, while others were hiding in their barely clothed skin. I wanted to help! If there was a way that I could set them free. Show them their worth! Change everything...although some do not want to change. Some think it's normal, but I know the truth. I want to tell them they are worth so much more than what can be found underneath their clothes, or the "favors" they can do. I want to tell them...no scream to them how beautiful they are. How dearly loved they are. How they can dance again. How they can dream again.

This led me to the thought of buying their time. Would there be a safe way that I could buy their time? Tell the cops and set it up. Come in a different car. Lavish them with blessings and take them out to lunch. We'd chat about life. Chat about their kids...talk about their dreams and hear their stories unfold. No judgement. Just love. Is it feasible? If not, I still wouldn't care, because I know of a Savior that will move heaven and earth to show me His great love- no matter how much of a mess I'm in. Everyone deserves this gift.

Now, I can't drive by these precious ones without being in tears. I can't hold it together anymore. My heart is for them, just like God's heart is for them. It's amazing how things change when you get a glimpse of God's heart for someone else. It's life-changing. I wonder what it would be like if I caught a glimpse of God's heart for me. Would I be more intentional? Love better? Try more instead of giving up? Pass less judgement on others? Maybe.

Know this my friend, God is going to use the prostitutes! Jesus loves redeeming the broken. Don't sleep on these beloved ones, because when His love rushes in, it's like a hurricane. I can't wait to see how He makes a beautiful mess of things... and I will be standing on the front lines when He does.

Join me in being intentional about loving well. Ask God to give you His heart for someone you normally wouldn't think about loving this week.

Be fearless!

-Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Share your mind!